Note: 5/8/2011 Please update your MyFreeStuff iPhone app to v1.5 (available in Apple's App Store) to ensure that uploads work.
[View the FAQ] [My Free Stuff App Demo on Vimeo].
- 12/8/2010 - Just registered this domain,
- 12/9/2010 - Got this intro page up.
I love freecycle, but I wish there were more posts with photos. This got me thinking about how I could make it easier to post photos. If it was easier to post photos maybe people would post more of them.
What if we had a little iPhone app that would let us:
- Take a photo within the app
- Wait a couple seconds as the app automatically uploaded the photo to the web.
- Then help create a freecycle post email with a link to the photo (eg. myfreestuffapp.com/cool_item.jpg)
This seemed like it might be useful, so a couple months ago I started looking into what it would take to do this. I'm excited because almost ready to start testing this app and sharing it with some folks. If you have any ideas/comments/thoughts please feel free to .
- fellow freecycle fanatic (san francisco bay area)
- 12/11/2010 - Added email submit form to this page.
- 12/16/2010 - A friend of mine using a preview build posted the first offer using the app.
From: ????? ??? <?????email@example.com>
Sent: Thu, December 16, 2010 11:19:50 PM
Subject: OFFER: Wool oriental rug - runner (north oakland)
We have had this old wool rug for a while but do not need it in our new home.
It's a runner approximately 4 ft by 10 ft. Fairly decent condition though shows
some wear in some areas.
Sent from my iPhone
- 12/26/2010 - Katya finished first pass the design. Here is a sneak peak at the logo.
- 12/29/2010 - Submitted the app to Apple's App Store... it says "Waiting For Review". Hope it gets approved.
- 1/3/2011 - App has been marked as "In Review".
- 1/4/2011 - My Free Stuff App was approved and now Available in App Store
- 1/8/2011 - Short end-to-end demo video posted on Vimeo, so people can get an idea of how the app works.
- 1/9/2011 - My local freecycle moderator, Jennifer, sent out an ADMIN email to get the word out about app.
- 1/16/2011 - Been getting feedback that having help composing "Taken" emails (as well as Offer emails) would make the process easier. So I submitted an update to App Store today v1.1 that adds this feature. I will keep you posted as it goes through approval process / when v1.1 is available in App Store. Here's the blurb I submitted with the new version:
In addition to offer emails, My Free Stuff app now helps you compose your taken emails, too. After offers are taken just go back to your list in My Free Stuff and click on "Mark Taken" to have the app help you create your taken emails.
- 1/17/2011 - Jennifer, Alison and I have been brainstorm ways to help build awareness how MyFreeStuff app makes it easier to post photos in our groups. Here's some of the ideas we've been brainstorming.
- 1/18/2011 - Apple just approved version v1.1 so it is now Available in App Store. This version includes the feature to help compose "Taken" emails.
- 1/19/2011 - Submitted a new version to the App Store v1.2 here's what's new (not approved / available yet):
Now includes support for using photos from your library as well as your camera. Go to settings to enable your Photo Library. Also, added some help text when an invalid group email is detected.
- 1/22/2011 - New location "approximizer" feature added to protect member privacy (and all existing photos' maps have been updated) for an example see the map below this photo: http://myfreestuffapp.com/photo/SPEJ/wool-oriental-rug-runner. Also, the new version of the My Free Stuff App (v1.2) with the new feature to allow you to use your Photo Library has been approved and is now Available in App Store. Also, Jennifer in my local group has just put up info about the app on our group's home page to encourage people to upload more photos. I've excited to see if this works and if it helps get more photos posted into our group.
- 1/23/2011 - Submitted v1.3 to App Store which now contains proper support for landscape orientation photos (rather than oddly scaling them into portrait photos).
Added support for landscape orientation photos.
- 1/24/2011 - Apple approved the new version! Download the update now: Available in App Store!
- 2/1/2011 - I've been getting a number of questions about My Free Stuff so I spent a couple minutes tonight jotting down some of the questions in a FAQ. Please let me know if you have any other questions / comments!
- 2/6/2011 - Fixed bug where image page on myfreestuffapp.com was not getting updated when some items were being marked as "taken"
- 2/8/2011 - Added link to Yahoo Group or MyFreecycle Group to photo pages.
- 3/8/2011 - Added FAQ entry explaining how to select a "From" address when you use more than one email account with your iPhone
- 3/29/2011 - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SFFN Added a link to their home page to try to get more photos into their group
- 4/5/2011 - Submitted v1.4 to App Store which contains a bug fix for the app reporting "-" in email addresses as invalid, added instructions to write a review in App Store (and a link in the About page to make it easier) and includes some edits to the Setup help page to make it more clear.
- 4/11/2011 - Apple approved the new version! Download the update now: Available in App Store!
- 4/18/2011 - Update photo page to include the "approximate location" entered by the user (as suggested by skooter from SFFN). This new field is displayed just after the group link right above the photo on the right hand side.
- 4/20/2011 - Updated yahoo group moderator guide / brainstorming
- 4/21/2011 - Add to FAQ with answer to "how do I re-enable location services?"
- 5/5/2011 - ISP/domainname issue which is causing the site to be down. Quick work around to get website back up.
- 5/6/2011 - Submitted v1.5 emergency update to app to work around ISP/domainname issue to App Store.
- 5/8/2011 - App and website working 100% again. Still waiting for ISP to resolve remaining issues with domain name (in the meantime you'll see appspot.com sometimes in the browser location line)
- 5/14/2011 - Fixed bug with yahoogroups.ca email address missing a link back to the freecycle group. Updated navigation in website header to make it eaisier to find iTunes App page and FAQ.